Choosing your fabric...
Fabric plays a huge part in the makeup and design of your new piece. It will often be one of the largest expenses in your project. That’s why it’s so important to choose the right fabric. After 20+ years in the industry and working with countless fabrics, we have come to understand what textile works best for your needs… be it slipcovers, cushions, pillows, upholstery etc. Check out the links below to our preferred fabric vendors and let us know what you like! Remember to order through us to ensure the fabric type is suitable and for the best price!
Here are some FAQ’s when it comes to choosing fabric for your project:
- Is fabric an additional cost to the labor? Yes, fabric is an additional cost and pricing depends on your fabric choice. Fabric prices range from $25-$200 per yard and just like clothing, there are economical brands and luxury brands.
- Do I have to purchase my fabric from you? We prefer and strongly recommend you purchase your fabric through us. However, if you choose to purchase your fabric else where we cannot take responsibility for any issues that arise as a result of the fabric i.e too thick, too thin, marks, stains, abrasions etc. We also reserve the right to charge a COM (customers own fabric) fee or labor mark up depending on fabric choice and it’s level of difficulty. *Certain fabrics may be not suitable for your project or our sewing machines.
- Can I see and feel your fabric options? Yes! We can mail you swatches from any of our preferred vendors shown below. You can also schedule a free 30 minute fabric consult where you come to our shop to see and feel the books, samples and remnants we have in house.
- What type of fabric should I get? Fabric type will ultimately depend on what your project is but typically we like to work with home decor or upholstery grade fabrics that are between 10-12oz of weight. If your fabric is too thin, it will be more susceptible to tears and deterioration. If your fabric is too thick, it may look and/or feel bulky.
- I want a machine washable fabric. Do you offer that? We understand the ease of being able to take your covers off and throw them in the wash but just like clothing, the washing machine will deteriorate/warp your covers over time. That is why we do NOT recommend machine washing your covers nor will we make any alterations/adjustments after you wash your covers. If you still intend to machine wash, it is important that you choose a washable fabric or your cover may end up shrinking on you! *Ask us specifically about our machine washable options.
- I want a patterned fabric. Does yardage differ from solid fabric? YES, yardage amount differs based off the repeat size of the pattern. It will also depend on what way you want the pattern going on your piece. We can help you figure out how much fabric you will need after we know the repeat size and pattern orientation.
- Do you work with leather, velvet or vinyl? YES, we work with these materials but they bring an extra level of care and attention to detail so these, plus other difficult materials are subject to 50% labor mark up.
Our fabric vendors
All of the fabrics offered by our preferred vendors can be purchased directly through us. Swatches are available upon request.